Accessing Lactation Rooms
To get started using any of the Columbia Lactation Rooms, just follow these steps:
1. Request access: Please contact the Office of Work/Life at 212-854-8019 to request access to the campus lactation rooms. It is best to do this at least ten days in advance of your use of the room if possible, however, we will do our best to accomodate same/next day requests. Access is provided either by a key pad code or by card swipe using your CUID card. Please note: Room access codes will be changed periodically to ensure appropriate access and safety. The Office of Work/Life will communicate to all current users about the change in access in advance.
2. Obtain breast pump attachments: Each lactation room is equipped with a Medela Symphony electric, hospital grade pump. You will need to bring your own attachments for the Symphony pump, which are available in one package (Symphony Double Pumping Kit). To obtain the double pumping kit for the Medela Symphony pump, you can purchase through online retailers such as these:You can also visit the Medela website, to find a local store.
You may also want to review the Symphony pump instructions (linked at the bottom of the page) before your first visit. Breastfeeding mothers may also bring their own pump to and from the lactation room on a daily basis, but will be responsible for securing it against theft or use by others.
3. Plan for storage/cooling: Refrigeration/storage is provided in some, not all, of the lactation rooms on campus, so be prepared to store your breast milk as needed. Columbia University is not responsible for the security or integrity of breast milk stored in or outside of the lactation room refrigerator.
All Lactation room users are expected to clean up after each use of a room, especially when using the on-site pump equipment. This is not only out of respect for the next user, but to prevent contamination and illness transmission. Each user should allow enough time, within a visit, to clean the pump equipment of breast milk spills and dispose of trash properly. Antibacterial sprays/wipes and paper towels are provided for cleaning.
Upon accessing the room, slide the sign to IN USE to alert other users that someone is using the room. Slide the sign back to VACANT when you leave the room unoccupied. Please respect the privacy of all lactation room users by knocking prior to typing in the access code for the rooms. Do not prop open the door at any time.
|Site -- Morningside Campus||Location||Room Details||
|Business School (Uris)*||Second floor||Sink in nearby bathroom/Refrigeration in room||Mon-Fri: 7:00 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.; Sat-Sun: 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.|
||Sink in nearby bathroom/No refigeration||Butler Library Service Hours
Housing (Carman Hall)*
Sink in room/No refrigeration
|24 hour access; 7 days/week|
Law School (Jerome Greene Hall)*
|Third floor||Sink in room/Refrigeration in room||9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; 7 days/week|
|North West Corner Building||Eighth floor||Sink in room/Refrigeration in room||24 hour access; 7 days/week - access available at campus level on the 4th floor|
|School of Engineering & Applied Sciences (Mudd Hall)*||Sixth floor||Sink in room/Refrigeration in room
||24 hour access; 7 days/week|
|School of Social Work||Third floor||Sink nearby/Refrigeration in room
||Mon: 8:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m.
Tue-Thurs: 8:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m.
Fri: 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Sat: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Sun 12:00 p.m. -10:00 p.m.
Closed Sat & Sun in August
William and June Warren Hall (1125 Amsterdam Ave.)
| Third Floor
||Sink nearby/Refrigeration in room||
Access til 10:00p.m. w/CUID
|Site -- CUMC||Location||Room Details||
|Allan Rosenfield Building||First floor||Sink in nearby bathroom/Refrigeration in room||24 hour access; 7 days/week|
|Presbyterian Hospital Building||17th Floor||Sink in nearby bathroom/Refrigeration in room||24 hour access; 7 days/week|
|The School of Nursing||Georgian Building
|Sink and refrigerator nearby||24 hour access; 7 days/week|
|Site -- Other Locations||Location||Room Details||
Lamont Doherty Campus- Lamont Hall
|Second floor||Sink in room/No refrigeration||9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; 5 days/week|
|The School at Columbia University *||Second floor||Sink in room/Refrigeration nearby||8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m; 5 days/week|
|Studebaker||Fourth floor||Sink in nearby bathroom/Refrigeration in room||8:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m.; 7 days/week|
If you are at the Columbia Doctors building on W. 51st street, contact the Office of Work/Life and we will work to find you a private room to express milk.
If you are looking for lactation rooms south of Morningside Campus, contact the Office of Work/Life and we will work to find you a private room to express milk.
* Access to this room is limited to employees at The School.
Campbell Sports Center Lactation Room
There is a lactation room on the 3rd floor of the Campbell Sports Center at Baker Field Athletic Center, 218th St and Broadway. Women must bring their own pump and cooler for milk storrage. Please check in at the reception desk when entering the building.
Barnard College Lactation Room
Barnard College Human Resources mantains a lactation room on the first floor of Milbank. This room is equipped with a breast pump and a refrigerator. There is a sink in a nearby bathroom.
- Please contact HR for the key pad access code at (212-854-2551) or HR@barnard.edu
Teachers College Lactation Room
There is a lactation room on the first floor of Thompson Hall at Teachers College. Access is provided through the President's Office at Teachers College. Please visit this webpage for more information about the room and how to access.