Affiliated Child Care Centers
Conveniently located near Columbia University's campuses, the affiliated but independent child care centers listed below serve many Columbia families. Columbia University provides some support to these centers for maintaining their physical environment, quality of care and financial aid. These centers vary in their programming, hours, age range of students and tuition fees. You should carefully screen all child care centers that you are considering to find the program that will best meet your family's needs.
The Columbia University Affiliated Child Care Centers offer an optional earlier notification of their admissions decision to the applicant families who are current and prospective faculty, staff and students of Columbia University. Please see below for more details.
Please feel free to download and save this spreadsheet that provides details on Columbia University Affiliated Child Care and Early Education Programs.
Children's Learning Center
The Children's Learning Center (CLC) is located on the beautiful grounds of Morningside Gardens in Morningside Heights. CLC is an arts-oriented, play-based nursery school for children aged 6 months-5 years. At CLC, we value play, hands on exploration of materials, and children's social and emotional learning. We see children as creative and competent problem solvers, and celebrate the imaginative spark within each child.
- Eligibility Requirements: Ages 6 months to 5 years
- Fees: Tuition varies; $50 application fee
- Registration/Application Deadline: Applications are accepted until February 1st.
- Address: 90 LaSalle Street, New York, NY 10027
- Director: Molly Vozick-Levinson
- Phone: 212-663-9318; Fax: 212-600-4870
- Email: email@example.com
- For more information, visit the CLC Website
Columbia Greenhouse Nursery SchoolColumbia Greenhouse is an independent, not-for-profit, and non-sectarian part-time early childhood school. Their student body reflects the diversity of the University community and of the neighborhood.
- Eligibility Requirements: Ages 2 to 5 years
- Fee(s): Tuition and application fees; financial aid is available
- Registration/Application Deadline: Application deadline is December 1
- Address: 404 West 116th Street
- Director: Renee Mease
- Phone: 212-666-4796; Fax: 212-865-1294
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information, visit the Columbia Greenhouse Website
The Family Annex is a parent co-op that offers full-time and part-time enrollment for child care. The Reggio Emilia approach is used to encourage creative thinking for children and encourages both teachers and children to be researchers. The children are engaged in discovery through the use of materials, discussions and possibilities which the teachers explore with the children.
- Eligibility Requirements: 17 months to 4.5 years
- Fee(s): Tuition fee; financial aid is available
- Registration/Application Deadline: None, but enrollment is for 11 months (September-July; closed August)
- Address: 560 West 113th Street
- Director: Nancy Drescher
- Phone: 212-749-3271; Fax: 212-749-3271
- Email: email@example.com
- For more information, visit the Family Annex Website
Lamont-Doherty Child Development Center
The Lamont-Doherty Child Development Center, run by Bright Horizons Family Solutions, offers full-time, part-time, and drop-in care for infants, toddlers and preschool children at the Lamont-Doherty Observatory. The center is located on the border of New York and New Jersey.
- Eligibility Requirements: Ages 6 weeks to 5 years
- Fees: Modestly subsidized for employees; partial tuition scholarships available for employees and students of Lamont-Doherty
- Registration/Application Deadline: There is no deadline, students can enroll at any point
- Address: 135 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964
- Director: Rosita Resmondo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 845-848-2665
- Email: email@example.com
- For more information, visit the Lamont-Doherty Website
Medical Center Nursery School
The Medical Center Nursery School aims to provide a secure, nurturing, developmentally appropriate educational setting for children in the following communities: Columbia University; New York Presbyterian Hospital; the New York State Psychiatric Institute; and northern Manhattan, specifically the Washington Heights and Inwood neighborhoods.
- Eligibility Requirements: Ages 2 to 6 years
- Fee(s): Application fee and tuition
- Registration/Application Deadline: Applications are accepted in the beginning of September for the following year
- Address: 60 Haven Avenue
- Director: Howard Johnson
- Phone: 212-304-7040; Fax: 212-544-4243
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information, visit the Medical Center Nursery School Website
Red Balloon Day Care Center
Red Balloon provides a safe, creative, and nurturing environment where very young children can learn by making their own choices and exploring through hands on activities and through play. The center serves the Morningside Heights and Harlem communities.
- Eligibility Requirements: Ages 2 to 5 years
- Fee(s): Tuition and participation/activity fees
- Address: 560 Riverside Drive, between Tiemann place and 125th Street
- Director: Norma Brockman
- Phone: 212-663-9006; Fax: 212-932-0190
- Email: email@example.com
- For more information, visit the Red Balloon Website
Tompkins Hall Nursery and Childcare Center
Originally a parent coop nursery, this preschool program encourages parents to play an important role in the school experience. Tompkin's Hall strives to integrate each child's individual development with the experience of belonging to a group.
- Eligibility Requirements: 3 months to 2 years 8 months for child care center; 2 years 9 months to 4 years 8 months for preschool
- Fee(s): Tuition, application fees, and a nonrefundable deposit upon meeting participation requirements; financial aid is available
- Registration/Application Deadline: Before December 31 for nursery and before January 31 for day care for the following year
- Address: 21 Claremont Avenue
- Director: Jorinda Moorhead
- Phone: 212-854-9601; Fax: 212-666-3340
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information, visit the Tompkin's Hall website.
Twin Parks Montessori School
Twin Parks Montessori Schools (Park West, Riverside, and Central Park) are committed to building and fostering a community of life-long learners, using proven Montessori methodology. The schools provide infant, toddler, and early childhood education and child care services.
- Eligibility Requirements: Ages 3 months to 6 years
- Fee(s): Tuition fees vary; Application fee $50
- Registration/Application Deadline: Begins September 1
- For more information, visit the Twin Parks Website
Park West Address: 435 Central Park West
- Director of Admissions: Jessica Anub
- Phone: 212-678-6072; Fax: 212-678-1998
- Email: Admissions - email@example.com
Riverside Address: 202 Riverside Drive
2017-18 Admissions: Early Notification Policy
The Columbia University Affiliated Child Care Centers offer an optional early notification of their admissions decision to the applicant families who are current and prospective faculty, staff and students of Columbia University. If interested, parents should ask each center director for information about the age groups covered by the Early Notification policy.
Centers cannot require parents to opt for early notification but will ask for interest in writing prior to making final admissions decisions.
If a qualifying family chooses to be included in the early notification process, the Center will notify parents of their decisions after December 5 and no later than January 20.
The early notification Parent Reply Deadline is no later than noon on January 27, 2017.
Feel free to contact Carolyn Singer, at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss Early Notification or other admissions questions that arise.
The following centers are in Barnard, Teacher's College, or through an academic department and serve Columbia and the community.
Barnard Center for Toddler Development
The mission of the Barnard Center is to provide a warm, positive first school experience for parents and children, and a forum for parents and caregivers to discuss and learn about the development of toddlers; to conduct research on early development and parenting, and to educate students about toddler development.
- Enrolls a total of 28 children in the Toddler Center; 12 children in each class, with an equal number of boys and girls.
- Contact the email@example.com in mid-October for admission the following fall.
- Address: 3009 Broadway, New York, NY 10027
- Director: Tovah Klein, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 212-854-8275
- For more information, visit the Barnard Center Website
Columbia University Head Start Program
The Head Start program serves 68 children aged three to five and families; the Early Head Start program serves 194 children under the age of three and 42 pregnant women residing in the neighborhoods of Washington Heights and Hamilton Heights in northern Manhattan.
- Eligibility Requirements: Families earning within the federal poverty income guidelines. Families must live in the catchment area; Head Start families living between 165th Street and 181st Street in Washington Heights Riverside Drive to Amsterdam Avenue and Early Head Start families and pregnant women living between 125th Street and 204th Street in Northern Manhattan.
- Fees(s): Services are free to qualified families.
- Registration/Application Deadline: Applications accepted on an ongoing basis; families will be placed on a waiting list.
- Address: 154 Haven Avenue, 3rd Floor
- Director: Carmen Rodriguez Ph.D., email@example.com
- Phone: 212-923-5237
- For more information, visit the Head Start Program Website
Hollingworth Preschool, Teachers College
This program, run by Teachers College, provides a developmentally appropriate curriculum for three-, four-, and five-year-old children and their families. The children, who attend the school five half-days per week, participate in a classroom community that nurtures all aspects of their development.
- Address: 309 Main Hall, 525 W 120th Street, Box 170, New York, New York 10027
- Director: Heather Pinedo-Burns, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 212-678-3403
- Email: email@example.com
- For more information, visit the Hollingworth Preschool Website
The Rita Gold Early Childhood Center, Teachers College
The Rita Gold Early Childhood Center, an infant, toddler and preschool early care and education research practicum site, serves to promote the growth and development of infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and their families.
- Eligibility Requirements: Only children of Teachers College, Columbia University and Barnard College faculty, staff or students accepted
- Fee(s): Tuition fees vary depending on the child's schedule; 25% non-refundable deposit, $75 application fee applies
- Registration/Application Deadline: Varies by year
- Address: Teachers College, 525 W. 120th Street (Thorndike Hall, second floor)
- Director: Susan Recchia, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 212-678-3013; Fax: 212-678-3048
- For more information, visit the Rita Gold Website