Bike Safety and Maintenance
Prevent Theft: Learn how to properly lock your bike
Public Safety discourages the use of cable locks, as they can be easily cut. U-locks are more secure. Two U-locks can be used to lock your bike frame and tire to a bolted down bike rack. Learn more about Bike Theft Prevention using Public Safety’s resource guide.
Check out the pros and cons of each type of bicycle lock, and choose the best lock for your needs.
Courtesy: Bike New York
Wear a helmet, and wear it right. (Tips from Bike New York.)
- Snug and flat on your head.
- With side buckles adjusted to form a “V” at your ear.
- With chin strap tightened and buckled.
- With enough room to fit one or two fingers under strap.
Follow NYC Bike Laws
Avoid conflicts with motorists, pedestrians, and other cyclists by being: predictable, visible, assertive, alert, and courteous. (Bike New York)
Commit to the Bike Safety Pledge!
Additional Bicycle Safety Tips from the American League of Bicyclists
- Get all of your “Smart Cycling Tips” from the American League of Bicyclists. Information is available on a wide range of topics, from biking attire, to proper helmet use.