Child Care & Schooling
These pages include information on being a parent in the greater New York Metropolitan Area.
Through this website, you can learn more about: Programs Supporting Parents, Child Care, and Schooling Needs
- Back-up Care - Eligible Columbia University faculty, staff, and students can use subsidized back-up care for the children and adults/elders when normal care is interrupted but you still need to attend to your Columbia responsibilities.
- Breastfeeding Support Program- Private lactation rooms equipped with hospital-grade breast pumps are available on all Columbia campuses for nursing mothers. A breastfeeding workshop is offered each semester.
- School and Child Care Search Service - This service provides information and individual guidance to parents exploring all types of child care, including Columbia University's Affiliated Child Care Centers, educational opportunities within public, parochial, independent and special needs schools, and after school and out-of-school-time programs.
- Adoption Assistance Program- Assists full-time, benefits-eligible officers and non-union support staff with the often substantial costs incurred with adoption.
- Child Care Benefit - Eligible Officers may receive access to funds to use toward early child care expenses.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)- A free specialized and confidential service available to faculty, and staff eligible to receive medical benefits from Columbia (and household members). The EAP provides counseling and assessment on a range of topics, including relationship and family issues.
- Family Policies- Columbia has adopted a variety of policies to fit the needs of parents caring for children while pursuing a career at Columbia. These include maternity disability leave, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and child care leave of absence.
- Tuition Programs - Columbia University offers several programs for tuition, both at and outside of the University.
- CUArts- The Arts Initiative is please to present information on family friendly programming and cultural events. Use the “family” filter on the TLC calendar.
- PreK and Kindergaten NYC Newsletter - For Columbia families, including those who are not yet living in New York City, with children who will be attending PreKindergarten and Kindergarten in a New York City public, parochial or independent school.
- School Finder (EduProfile)- A database of more than 2,500 profiles of public and private nursery, elementary, middle and high schools in New York City. Free access with a CUID.
- Work/Life Bulletin Board - the Work/Life Bulletin Board is a forum to facilitate the exchange of information among the Columbia University community.
- Work/Life Calendar- You can use the calendar to find out about SCCSS workshops as well as New York City school-related events.
Child Care: Carolyn Singer, firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-851-9184
Schooling: Marcia Roesch, email@example.com or 212-851-9183
516 West 112th Street (Lionsgate Complex)
New York, NY 10027
The door to the office is recessed from the main sidewalk, and located in between Christ Scientist Church on the right and the 'Lionsgate' residential building with a green canopy on the left.