Housing Information for Persons with Disabilities

Following are some general resources for persons with disabilities in New York City.


Please note that any information provided on this website, and within these links, is for reference and referral purposes only.  The services and agencies listed here are not affiliated with Columbia University’s Office of Work/Life.  You should call the services and agencies for more information. The Housing Information and Referral Service is only  for current Columbia University faculty, staff, and students. 


Columbia University Resources

In addition to the Housing Information and Referral Service, the following resources within Columbia are available for people with disabilities.

Columbia University Campus

View the campus accessibility map which includes information about accessibility for University venues.

Human Resources

Faculty and staff with disabilities may request workplace accommodations through the University's Human Resources department. Visit this site for information about requesting a workplace accomodation.

Office of Disability Services

The University's Office of Disability Services coordinates accommodations for students and visitors to the University. Visit this site to learn about the process for requesting housing accommodations for students living on campus, academic accommodations, and other helpful information.


General Resources

The Center for Independence of the Disabled New York (CIDNY)

The CIDNY's goal is to ensure full integration, independence and equal opportunity for all people with disabilities by removing barriers to the social, economic, cultural and civic life of the community.  CIDNY's offices in Manhattan and Queens provide benefits counseling, direct services (e.g. housing assistance, transition services for youth with disabilities, employment-related assistance, healthcare access, and peer support groups), information and referrals, and recreational activities. Consumers are not charged for CIDNY's services.

Manhattan: 646-441-4186; Queens: 646-442-1512

CUCS - Center for Urban Community Services

CUCS offers information on permanent housing for low income, homeless and disabled individuals and families, transitional housing for homeless people with mental illness, and extended stay residences for adults preparing to move on to more independent living.


Disabilities Network of New York City

The DNNYC brings people, organizations, government and industry together to find solutions to the problems faced by New Yorkers with physical, visual and hearing disabilities. DNNYC strives for full inclusion of people with disabilities into the vast civic, social and economic life of New York City.  The Housing Committee of the DNNYC provides workshops and advocacy around housing concerns for the disabled.


Disabled NYC.com

Disabled NYC provides a message board with broad range of subjects, including but not limited to housing, education, health care, religion, transportation, and advocacy - and is arranged by borough.


Government Assistance

New York City Department of Finance

The New York City Department of Finance offers information about Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) eligibility.  DRIE programs offer eligible tenants an exemption from rent increases which may result in a reversion to rent paid under a previous lease or rent order. The owner of the building receives a corresponding credit against their real estate taxes from the City of New York.  Applicants must meet ALL of the eligibility requirements.

59 Maiden Lane, 19th Floor - New York, NY 10038- (212) 487-6736


New York State Department of Health

The New York State Department of Health provides assisted living resources, including regulations, FAQs and Assisted Living Program application.


The New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance: Bureau of Housing and Support Services

The Bureau of Housing and Support Services (BHSS) administers an array of programs to address the problems of homelessness in the State. These programs provide a continuum of services for homeless, at risk and low-income households. BHSS programs are designed to prevent homelessness, provide shelter for the homeless, construct supportive housing for the homeless and offer essential services to stabilize housing situations and increase levels of self-sufficiency.  To accomplish this, BHSS administers the Homeless Housing and Assistance Program (HHAP), as well as a range of support services programs for homeless and at risk families and individuals, including the Homelessness Intervention Program, Supplemental Homelessness Intervention Program, Single Room Occupancy Support Services Program, Emergency Shelter Grants Program, Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS Program, Supported Housing for Families and Young Adults Program, and the Operational Support for AIDS Housing Program. In addition, the Bureau is responsible for the New York State's certification, regulation and inspection of family and single shelters for the homeless.

Legal Advocacy

Coalition of Institutionalized Aged and Disabled

The Coalition of Institutionalized Aged and Disabled (CIAD) is a non-profit, grassroots organization run by and for adult home and nursing home residents and resident councils. Established in 1973 to bring pride, purpose and self-determination to residents of long term care institutions, CIAD is dedicated to protecting the rights of residents and improving the quality of their life and care.


Housing and Urban Development (National)

The Housing and Urban Development website is designed to address frequently asked questions on the housing rights of people with disabilities and the responsibilities of housing providers and building and design professionals under federal law.   Information is provided for people with disabilities, housing providers, building and design professionals, assistance animals, Section 504, disability discrimination study and a guidebook for practitioners. Phone: (202) 708-1112.


Legal Aid Society: Disability Advocacy Project

The Disability Advocacy Project provides a full range of legal services for children and adults; the Society represents children and adults with their applications, administrative hearings, and court appeals, and gives advice and counseling.


NY State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR)

This page in DHCR's web site describes protections for disabled persons who occupy rent regulated housing with regard to protection from eviction and exemption from rent increases.  The Central Office of the Office of Rent Administration at Gertz Plaza, 92-31 Union Hall Street, Jamaica, NY and the Borough and County Rent Offices are totally accessible buildings, including the bathroom facilities. Staff members at all Rent Offices are available to assist visually-impaired persons with forms and other printed materials. With advance notification, staff members can also provide assistance for tenants and owners with hearing impairments, or serious mobility problems. If a hearing-impaired person is a party or a witness at a hearing before the Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR), DHCR will provide a signer to interpret the proceedings.

Living Support Services/Assisted Living for People With Disabilities

Community Options, Inc.

Community Options uses gentle teaching and other positive approaches to support people with disabilities.  It develops residential and employment support for people with severe disabilities, utilizing technology and training.

Empire State Building, 350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2622, New York, NY 10118
Ph: (212) 227-9110; Fax: (212) 227-9115


Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID)

VESID offers access to a full range of services that may be needed by persons with disabilities through their lives. Through its administration of special education, vocational rehabilitation and independent living programs, VESID coordinates policy and services relating to special education, transition services, vocational rehabilitation, and independent living services.



Other Housing Options

Following are a couple of fully-accessible buildings.  This is not a complete list.

Avalon Morningside Park

Avalon Morningside Park is a recently built luxury hi-rise building that is located a few blocks from Columbia's Morningside campus and has wheel-chair accessible facilities and apartments.  One Morningside Drive, New York, NY 10025, 866-658-2149.

Greenbush Village

Greenbush Village Apartments is a 24-unit complex designed by Crotched Mountain for adults with a permanent disability who meet income eligibility requirements.  The facility is located outside of Albany, NY, about 2-1/2 hours north of New York City-25 Crotched Mountain Way, East Greenbush, NY.



Public Transportation

Metropolitan Transit Authority

Accessibility information for New York City's public transit, including reduced fare metro cards, accessible stations, and Access-A-Ride paratransit service is available on the MTA website.


Taxi and Limousine Commission

Information about the accessible taxi cab dispatch program is available on the Taxi and Limousine Commission website. This system links passengers who use wheelchairs with accessible vehicles through a central dispatcher. Passengers call 311 to request the service.

Searchable Housing Databases

Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD)

The MOPD has provided a searchable resource list with disabled status criteria. 

Office of the Mayor
City Hall, New York, NY 10007
Telephone: 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside NYC)


New York State Housing Search

An online searchable database for accessible housing statewide. 


National Resource Directory

The National Resource Directory is an online partnership for wounded, ill and injured service members, veterans, their families and those who support them.  The site has over thirty listings of organizations that assist with housing-related concerns for people with disabilities.


Wounded Warrior Project

The Wounded Warrior Project aims to raise awareness and enlist the public's aid for the needs of severely injured service men and women, help severely injured service members aid and assist each other, and provide unique, direct programs and services to meet the needs of severely injured service members.


Listing of the web sites above does not constitute a recommendation of these web sites nor is the accuracy of the information listed in these web sites verified by the Office of Work/Life.

Columbia University assumes no responsibility in connection with any of these web sites, and recommends that any information listed therein be independently verified.

Last Updated: