Housing Information & Referral Service
The Housing Information and Referral Service is an initiative of the Office of Work/Life. The service provides individual consultations on renting or purchasing apartments and homes within commuting distance of Columbia University campuses. The service is available to all faculty, including faculty being recruited to the University, and to all other Columbia University employees.
The Affinity Lending Program provides Columbia employees with mortgage lenders who can assist with mortgage refinancing, debt consolidation, and home purchasing.
- There are two lenders in the program, Bank of America Home Loans and ICC Mortgage Services. While Columbia does not endorse either lender, employees regularly report positive feedback regarding both of these lenders and their programs. These lenders have become familiar with the complexities of faculty salaries, royalties, etc. regarding mortgages.
- These lenders were initially selected, and then reviewed again in 2011 by an extensive vetting process conducted by a committee that consisted of senior administrators in Arts & Sciences, Finance, General Counsel, Human Resources, and Office of the Provost.
General Real Estate and Housing Information
- Metropolitan New York area overview
- Housing challenges in the New York area
- Neighborhood information for NYC, Westchester, New Jersey and other areas
- Map of local area with rental, co-op and condo building locations
- Definition of real estate terminology
- Issues of buying vs. renting
- Information and contacts for realtors, attorneys, inspectors and other real estate professionals
- Eligibility and requirements, including Dean's approval, for The Provost's Faculty Housing Assistance Program
- Landlord and managing agent information
- Lease information
- Tenant information
- Short term and temporary housing options
- The process of purchasing a property
- Mortgage information and options
- Affinity Lending Program
For more information or to make an appointment, please contact:
Telephone: (212) 851-9182
Fax: (212) 851-1886
516 West 112th Street (Lionsgate Complex)
New York, NY 10025
The door to the office is set-back off the street in between Christ Scientist Church on the right and the Lionsgate, a residential building with a green canopy on the left.