Faculty Recruitment & Relocation Service

Columbia University recognizes that relocation is often stressful and that it can impact your whole family, including your spouse or same-sex domestic partner, children, parents and others.  Columbia offers services that help faculty through the relocation process.  The Faculty Recruitment and Relocation Service provides assistance with finding child care and schools, elder care, housing and employment opportunities for your spouse/domestic partner. Additionally there are a variety of housing program and services to assist you, whether you are looking to rent, lease, or buy a home. 


The following programs are available to assist Columbia faculty with housing.

Spouse/Partner Dual Career Services

Columbia offers dual career services to assist the accompanying spouses/partners of newly recruited faculty with the challenges of conducting academic and non-academic job searches in a new location.

For non-academic careers, we offer job market assessments, individual consultations and referrals through a network of experienced career services, human resources and other professionals in the Columbia community. 

Spouse/partner dual career services are provided as a resource only, and do not create an entitlement to nor guarantee employment.  Spouses/partners are eligible for the services and resources for a predetermined period of time during a six month window and can access the program for up to one year from the faculty hire date.

Additional resources available:

For more information and to access the Dual Career Service, contact the Office of Work/Life.


School, Child Care, and Elder Care

  • The School & Child Care Search Service provides written materials and personal guidance to parents exploring all types of child care and educational opportunities within public, parochial, independent, and special needs schools. 
  • Adult and Elder Care Services are provided through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).  The EAP provides a range of specialized services, including short-term counseling, to help you and your household members with the management of adult/elder care responsibilities.  For more information about elder care support for relocating faculty, email the Office of Work/Life.

Last Updated: