Moving Guide

Moving Internationally

Moving Internationally

If you are moving to the US from another country, before your household goods carrier can load your goods onto the ship (usually in a 20’ or 40’ container), you must have a visa and a US address. The mover can pack your goods if you need to move out of your current home, but until you have a visa and a U.S. address your goods cannot be shipped.

International moves of household goods into the U.S. will require customs clearance. Confirm with your mover any required customs clearance requirements and that these requirements are included in the services and pricing. You can obtain additional information regarding U.S. customs requirements at

International moves can be quoted by weight, but what really matters is whether everything will fit into a container. It is the actual cubic volume and amount of space your shipment occupies that really matters.

Sea container sizes are:

  • 20’ container: 1,165cft, 5,000-6,500 lbs., 19’5” x7’6” 7’9.5”
  • 40’ container: 2, 377cft, 12,000-14,000 lbs., 39’6.5” x 7’6” x 7’9.5”
Most insurance companies will only insure your international shipment if it is professionally packed by the mover or its agent. Marine insurance policies are usually provided by third parties, not your mover.