Housing Information for Persons with Disabilities

Legal Advocacy

Coalition of Institutionalized Aged and Disabled

The Coalition of Institutionalized Aged and Disabled (CIAD) is a non-profit, grassroots organization run by and for adult home and nursing home residents and resident councils. Established in 1973 to bring pride, purpose and self-determination to residents of long term care institutions, CIAD is dedicated to protecting the rights of residents and improving the quality of their life and care.


Housing and Urban Development (National)

The Housing and Urban Development website is designed to address frequently asked questions on the housing rights of people with disabilities and the responsibilities of housing providers and building and design professionals under federal law.   Information is provided for people with disabilities, housing providers, building and design professionals, assistance animals, Section 504, disability discrimination study and a guidebook for practitioners. Phone: (202) 708-1112.


Legal Aid Society: Disability Advocacy Project

The Disability Advocacy Project provides a full range of legal services for children and adults; the Society represents children and adults with their applications, administrative hearings, and court appeals, and gives advice and counseling.


NY State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR)

This page in DHCR's web site describes protections for disabled persons who occupy rent regulated housing with regard to protection from eviction and exemption from rent increases.  The Central Office of the Office of Rent Administration at Gertz Plaza, 92-31 Union Hall Street, Jamaica, NY and the Borough and County Rent Offices are totally accessible buildings, including the bathroom facilities. Staff members at all Rent Offices are available to assist visually-impaired persons with forms and other printed materials. With advance notification, staff members can also provide assistance for tenants and owners with hearing impairments, or serious mobility problems. If a hearing-impaired person is a party or a witness at a hearing before the Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR), DHCR will provide a signer to interpret the proceedings.