Expectant and New Parents' Guide
The Child Care Benefit provides employees earning $125,000 or less access to $3,000 per year to use toward early education and child care expenses. This benefit is provided through the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and you must sign up through the HR benefits system within 30 days of the child's birth or adoption. More details can be found here, go to the section titled Dependent Care FSA.
Employee Assistance Program provides a network of specialized services, including short-term counseling to help you and your household members cope with everyday issues such as stress, family relationships, depression, and drug and alcohol abuse, as well as providing referrals for adult/elder care services, and convenience services.
Office of Work/Life Programs & Services
Back-up care is for the care of adults, children, and elders nationwide, and in some international locations, for those situations when normal care arrangements are interrupted or when short-term care is required but you still need to attend to your work responsibilities.
Breastfeeding Support Program provides a variety of resources for nursing mothers, including private lactation rooms equipped with hospital-grade breast pumps on all Columbia campuses. Attachment kits for the hospital-grade pumps are available for purchase on campus at below retail cost. A breastfeeding workshop is offered each semester.
- School and Child Care Search Service provides individual consultations to assist families exploring early education and child care options.
- The Columbia University Affiliated Early Learning Centers are independent centers, conveniently located on or near Columbia campuses and/or in University housing.
- The PreK and Kindergarten NYC newsletter provides relevant and timely information on the admissions and enrollment process for NYC preK and Kindergarten programs.
- An annual Early Education & Child Care Fair is held in the fall with representatives from many area early education and child care centers in attendance.
- Access priority enrollment to select Bright Horizons Child care Centers and tuition discounts at additional participating centers.
- Use Sittercity for free access to a data base of babysitters, nannies and housekeepers to find child care help nu searching listings or posting a job. Background checks are included.
- Find tutors, test prep services, and homework helpers with BrightStudy.
- Workshops on breastfeeding, child care, schooling, and more are offered each semester to support parents at the University.