Moroccan Farro and Lentil Soup
Active Time: 50 Mins Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Mins Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 cup)
- ¼ cup dry red lentils
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup farro, dry
- ½ cup sweet potato, diced into small cubes
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup globe tomatoes, diced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ cup raisins
How to Make it:
- In a 1½-quart pot, add dry lentils and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- While lentils cook, heat oil, garlic, onion and ginger in a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Once lentils are cooked, drain excess water and add to 3-quart pot.
- Add vegetable broth, farro, sweet potato, red pepper, tomato, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, spinach and raisins. Cover with lid, bring to a boil and immediately reduce to medium heat. Cook for 30 minutes or until farro is tender.
Adapted from: Casperson, Brieanna. (2015, October 30). Moroccan Farro and Lentil Soup. Retrieved from http://foodandnutrition.org/november-december-2015/moroccan-farro-lentil-soup/