Whole Grain Pasta with Carrot Top Pesto and Cherry Tomatoes
Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 30 min Yield: 4 servings
For the pasta dish:
- 1 pound whole grain pasta
- Water and salt, as needed according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
For the pesto:
- 2 cups of carrot tops (green leafy part)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/3 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
How to Make it:
- Cook the whole grain pasta in large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain the pasta and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- To make the pesto, use a food processor to blend together all the ingredients (EXCEPT the olive oil) until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and slowly drizzle in the olive oil while pulsing the pesto.
- In a large bowl, toss the whole grain pasta with 1/2 cup carrot top pesto and 1/4 cup reserve cooking water. Add the cherry tomatoes and toss again
- Store the remaining pesto in a glass jar in the refrigerator up to a week or freezer for 6 months.
Adapted from: Vasavada, Hetal. (2018, March 21). Carrot Top Pesto. Retrieved from: https://www.milkandcardamom.com/2018/03/21/carrot-top-pesto/.