Forbidden Rice Tempeh and Vegetable Power Bowls
Active Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 40-50 Mins Yield: Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili garlic sauce more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 8-ounce package organic tempeh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1½ cups broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- ¾ cup snap peas, ends trimmed
- ½ large onion, sliced thin
- 1½ cup bok choy leaves and stems, sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into very thin rounds
- ¾ cup cooked forbidden rice
- Tamari or soy sauce optional
How to Make it:
- Mix together the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce and water, and set aside.
- Place the tempeh in a small sauce pan, with enough water to just about cover. Steam the tempeh for about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the olive and sesame oils in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the broccoli, snap peas, onion, bok choy and carrots to the pan and sauté for about 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Crumble the steamed tempeh into the vegetable mixture.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pan, and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the rice, and stir to combine everything and heat through for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add more water if the sauce seems too thick.
- Taste and season with tamari or soy sauce if desired.
Source: Danahy, Anne. (2019, January 7). Forbidden Rice and Vegetable Power Bowls. Retrieved from https://foodandnutrition.org/blogs/stone-soup/forbidden-rice-vegetable-power-bowls/.